Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ring the Alarm


OK...let me go ahead and apologize now for all the Beyonce references, but the truth is- We at the Singles' Salon absolutely L-O-V-E her! We know that she's happily married, and we're ecstatic for her, but Ms. Fierce is Fab and she's always been-- waaaay before she jumped the broom. So while we can't profile her here as a Singlelista we love, she is kinda' like our fairy married godmother. Besides, she did give us the eternal single girls' anthem Put a Ring On It (All the Single Ladies), so she at least deserves to be an honorary Singlelista for that!

Now for the business at hand... (ahem...at HAND...get it!?! No?...OK, read on...)

A few months ago, the New York Times ran this article about a new class of non-commitment rings that give new meaning to the term "statement pieces." 

From divorce rings, to single-and-looking rings, jewelers are  finding...umm...interesting...ways to capitalize on the deep pockets (and designer pocketbooks!) of Singlelistas who have yet to receive, or have already removed their wedding bands.



Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a self-proclaimed aficionado of right-hand rings (after all, diamonds are a girl's best friend!) and the Tiffany Celebration Rings had me coo-coo for karats, but this new crop of bedazzelment has me wondering whether or not this has gone too far.

For example, do true Singlelistas really need a bit of bling to show the world that they are available and happy? No, I mean literally, as in the Available and Happy (Ah) ring or the Single ring?


Or what about the Ms. Taken ring that is designed to look like an engagement set to help women ward off unwanted advances? Call me old-school, but it'd seem to me that you could simply say, "If you think you're getting my phone number, then you're sadly ms.taken!"  See- I just saved you $30. That's a spa mani-pedi; no need to thank me now!


As for the divorce rings, I can probably see the appeal. I've never taken that walk down the aisle but I'm pretty sure I'd meld my ring into something fabulous too if I had to take it off-- a platinum mansion maybe?  I must confess however, that I find the whole wedding ring coffin to be a bit creepy.


I don't know. Some of it seems a bit over the top to me.  Do we really need gimmicks to display our pride and self-worth? Couldn't that be accomplished in just the way we carry ourselves? Or, perhaps what one of my favorite sorority sisters likes to say is true, "The more bling the better!"

I'm not judging; I'm just asking.  At the end of the day, do what feels good to you! After all, that's what being a true Singlelista is really all about- Self-love and self-confidence. Now that has a nice ring to it!

....

Now do you get the "at HAND" joke?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right?!?!

Ok, fine!

Love life!
xoxo
 

Singles Salon Copyright © 2010 Single Salon designed by Batchelor Design Studio